ππͺ ππ£ππ₯πππ βππππ π€π π‘ππͺ
Words in written form are one of the most impactful forms of communication. As a written text is likely to last throughout time, I believe that writing allows for precision in communication. As the writer goes through the process from thought to published work, they can revise, rewrite, reevaluate their views and make as many adjustments as needed to produce a piece of writing which is meant to fulfil the purpose of the writing and is suitable for its intended audience. I believe that learning to be an efficient writer can benefit an individual personally, academically and professionally. My philosophy on writing and the teaching of writing is impacted by a few factors.
Firstly, based on my personal experiences with writing as I progressed
through the school system, I believe that teachers play a vital role in the
attitudes students have towards writing. The belief system the teacher holds,
their attitude toward writing as well as the strategies used in the classroom,
all contribute to his/her effectiveness as a teacher of writing.
Secondly, in
agreement with the NCTE beliefs, I accept as true that reading and writing are
closely connected. The more opportunities one gets to read with a gradual
increase in the variety of the texts read, the better the potential to be a
good writer.
Finally, I
believe that teaching students to write in context rather than
compartmentalizing aspects of grammar and teaching it in isolation, may prove
to be a much more effective teaching approach. This will foster lifelong
writers, as opposed to writers who can identify and replicate grammatically
correct sentences.
With
more experience and education, it is believed that my Philosophy on
writing and the teaching of writing will also expand.


I agree with the last sentence especially , having now started teacher training , its become quite clear that only time an experience will award me the opportunity to cement my philosophy.
ReplyDeleteOn the contrary, I am not sure that my writing philosophy will ever be cemented. As an increase in education and experiences will always allow me to view things differently. Also with the advancements in technology, my view of what writing is and how it should look are also adjusting.
DeleteI personally had issues with how I was taught English and i think it inspired me to do and be what i wished i had and that in turn made me question why my love for the language came about..... Did I truly love it or was I simply working hard at it to prove something to myself and change my viewpoint?
ReplyDeleteSimilar to me, your love for writing may have stemmed from sources outside of the classroom walls. I grew up in an environment where I saw reading and writing as entertainment rather than as a chore. So by the time I got to formal education, I had already developed certain proficiencies which made writing a little less difficult. However, I do agree that for most students the teacher is one of the key factors that determine if a student enjoys a subject, therefore excelling in it, that does not seem to be your case. When you mentioned prove something to yourself change your view point, do you mind expounding upon that so we can further discuss?
Delete"To prove to myself"
DeleteThere was a specific situation where a teacher stated that she does not understand my insistence of her teaching when it is English and I either have or I do not.
She further stated that English is not necessarily fun its a lot of memorising and hard work.
I was, no , I am out on my personal mission to change that rhetoric so that my students would enjoy my teachings and see that the subject can be enjoyable and has purpose and will benefit them.
I do agree that by allowing students to enjoy Language learning would remove some of the stigma attached to the subject... that it is not "fun". I completely disagree with the statement "either have it or not". English Language Arts is all about development, even as a teacher I am still learning and developing my reading and especially my writing skills on a consistent basis.
Delete